The 2cv Resource Site

Home arrow Forum

Sponsored By

The Deux Cheveux Resource Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Re:Problems starting the car (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Re:Problems starting the car
Pam (User)
Fresh Boarder
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Problems starting the car 8 Years ago Karma: 0  
Hi I've just got a 2CV6 back on the road that had been standing for 10 years. It consists off a chasis and a body of 2 2CV's i had and an engine from a van that had been recently written off. Last week it wouldn't start and the alternator had burn't out, this was replaced with another used one. But now it won't start again, its not even turning over. Not sure if it's the alternator again or starter motor sticking? Has anyone any ideas but more inportantly would i be better off replacing the alternator and starter motor with new ones rather than used ones as I don't really know how old they are or how long they have been sitting around not being used? Or could it be something different altogether. When the car does start it starts first time - its not the battery as that is new and i got a good one for it.

Advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. I've not had my 2CV on the road for nearly ten years and I know there's not much on it to go wrong but a bit stumped as to what it could be.

Last time i was driving a 2cv it was problem free driving for me and i'm hoping it will be again soon.

Thanks

Pam

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
admin (Admin)
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Problems starting the car 8 Years ago Karma: 0  
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Re your problem.

Have you checked the battery? I know it sounds a silly question, but it could be that. When you turn the ignition on and try to start the car, do the lights on the dash dim? If so, the battery is suspect or the battery terminal are dirty. If cleaning the terminals doesn't work, try jump starting it from a known good battery. If it starts, the battery is probably no good.

If the lights don't dim, can you hear the solenoid engage? If not, check the connections to the solenoid and also any earth straps. If they are OK, possibly the solenoid needs replacing.

Does the starter motor try to turn? If not, it could be either the starter motor which you could check by taking it of and use a pair of jump leads from the battery direct to the starter and see if it turns. Make sure you get the polarity right!! If it does turn, then possibly the solenoid contacts are faulty and it will need replacing. If it doesn't turn, I would suspect the starter motor.

Just a few ideas to get you started.

Re secondhand parts, I wouldn't use them. Either get new or reconditioned as you don't know the history of the secondhand items. Also, it sounds as though there is an underlying problem which caused your alternator burn out which you really need to fix before you replace it as you could burn out the new one.

Let us know how you get on.

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply