The 2cv Resource Site

Home arrow Forum

Sponsored By

The Deux Cheveux Resource Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Glass Fibre Body. Shows 'blooming', any remedies (1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottom Post Reply Favoured: 0
TOPIC: Glass Fibre Body. Shows 'blooming', any remedies
Grease2100 (User)
Fresh Boarder
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Glass Fibre Body. Shows 'blooming', any remedies 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
The glass fibre body on my Lomax, shows signs of 'neglect' during the winter months. I polish it twice a year, once for the first rally (May day) and once for the last in September. In between and throughout the winter it is a daily driver and garaged at night. The finish appears to 'bloom', application and hard work using a coloured "wax" (Turtle Wax) gets to an acceptable finish but I am unsure as to whether it is the effort of the polishing, or the colour impregnated polish that get the desired effect.
Ideally I'd like to re-spray, or fix the problem ... any thoughts?

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
eccles (Admin)
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Glass Fibre Body. Shows 'blooming', any remedies 8 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0  
Hi

Just a few thoughts on your problem.

It sound as though the applied wax goes off after a time.

Have you tried using something like T-Cut? It may be worth a go to get rid of the old wax and then re-waxing using the Turtle Wax. The gel coat on the Lomax is quite thick, so it shouldn't cause any problems, but as they say try it first in a non conspicuous area to make sure it's OK.

Re having a re-spray. I have had one car an RMB Gentry sprayed using two part paint and it was very successful. This was a new bodyshell which was primed and hadn't been previously painted.

A Bond I owned which had been re sprayed before I bought it had problems with the paint not adhering to the shell. My guess is the glass fibre wasn't prepared properly and there were traces of polish left which caused the problem. Also, it showed the fine stress marks through the paint.

To re-spray you would need to make sure there were no traces of anything left on the shell that would cause a reaction with the new paint and get a good primer coat on which was well bonded.

Hope this helps

eccles

Report to moderator   Logged Logged  
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top Post Reply